Saturday, June 14, 2008

Farmer's Market Haul

The crowds at Madison's fabulous Farmer's Market tend to keep me away, but today's gorgeous sunshine and the prospect of several parties got me hiking up to the capitol this morning. It was, indeed, crowded but I came away with a lovely haul:

~ spinach
~ green onions
~ asparagus
~ strawberries
~ sesame whole wheat bread

Plus, there's a new fancy cheese shop on the square and I had to stop in to sample the wares (http://www.fromagination.com/). We all know what happens when one "samples." I ended up with a piece of beautifully stinky French brie, some local Gouda with fenugreek (really nutty and unique) and a baguette all, for $17.20. Bit steep! But that will be my contribution to this afternoon's gathering. I had promised to bring a fruit salad to brunch tomorrow, but I think I will make a lovely spinach salad with strawberries and walnuts, instead.

I rounded out the journey with a stop at Cafe Soleil, L'Etoile's streetside cafe. There, I indulged in a citrus black iced tea and an epi roll to sustain me on the walk home.

Go food!

1 comment:

lucards said...

While pregnant with my second child, I had an ungovernable craving for blue cheese. I went to the only fancy food shop that Colorado Springs had to offer. Not satisfied with the samples of 6 blue cheeses they allowed me to taste (blue brie, blue Camembert, blue hard, soft in between) I bought 75 dollars worth of cheese and proceeded to eat it for breakfast for the next 12 days.

Fortunately, my offspring proved otherwise healthy.